Bring Me My Shotgun - Lightnin' Hopkins - Tutorial + Tab

 


This is my version of the blues tune Bring Me My Shotgun by Lightnin' Hopkins. This is quite a moody and slow blues tune. Regardless, some of the sections can be quite tricky to play. It has a loose 12 bar blues structure to it. This tab includes the intro section, the verse section, the 1st solo section and the outro section. The song repeats the verse section but has a different solo the 2nd time around. This is quite similar to the 1st solo so I haven't included. The song then has a third verse section and then the outro.

It is played on a guitar in standard tuning, is in 4/4 time, and is in the key of E.

Below are the lyrics, some tips to help you play this piece, and links to download the tab.

Bring Me My Shotgun Downloadable Tab - Power Tab - PDF - TXT
 
Here are the lyrics to the song if you wish to sing along:
 
Lyrics 
 
Woah, go bring me my shotgun
Oh I'm gonna start shootin again
Go bring me my shotgun
You know I just got to start shootin' again
You know I'm gonna shoot my woman
Cause she's foolin' around with too many men
 
Yes bring me my shotgun
Yes man and a pocket full of shells
Yes go bring me my shotgun
Yes man and a pocket full of shells
Yeah you know I'm gonna kill that woman
I'm gonna throw her her in that old deep dug well
Hide her from everybody they won't know where she at
 
That woman said Lightnin' you can't shoot me
She said now you is dead of tryin'
I don't take a day off for nobody
She said Lightnin' you can't shoot me
She said yes and you dare to try
I said the only reason I don't shoot you little woman
My double barrel shotgun, it just won't fire

 Source: flashlyrics.com
  • Bass Picking Pattern - This music has quite a slow tempo but it does have some tricky sections in it, and the bass picking pattern is also varied a bit. Although the bass pattern is mostly 1/4 notes played on each beat of the bar, there are some 1/8 added in, and some 1/8 note triplets. Even with the slow tempo, these require you to play them quite quickly with the thumb and get the timing correct. By watching the video and studying the tab you can see where these are and learn to play them. If they are causing you problems, these notes can be replaced with 1/4 on each beat of the bar, however, the music won't sound as good.

  • Timing The Ending - The ending section has a harsh, staccato sound to it, no doubt meant to mimic a shotgun going off. Although short, the timing of this ending can be very tricky. It starts 5/8 into the bar and then uses 1/8 notes after that. However, even timing the 1/8 notes can be tricky as you try to dampen the strings to create the staccato sound. Although timing it perfectly would be preferred, because it is the end of the song and this outro section has a loose feel to it, exact timing is not essential. I would recommend trying to get the harsh, staccato sound more than striving to get the timing correct.
  • Bending the Solo - I have included the 1st solo in this version and tried to keep it as close as possible to Lightnin' Hopkins original version. In this solo you play an A note on the 10th fret of the B string over and over and add a varying bend into it, which can be tricky. Initially when you start playing this note you want to add a significant bend taking the pitch up almost a full semitone. Then, at the start of the next bar, the bend is lessened slightly to approximately a half semitone pitch bend. It is then held there and on the fourth beat of this bar, the bend is taken back up to a full semitone bend. The bend is then fully released on the second beat of the next bar, when the fast run starts. If you practise this bend, you should be able to get the hang of it, just remember to keep the bend steady to keep the notes relatively consistent. If you are having trouble holding this varying bend, just leave it out.
  • Timing the 2/4 Bar - Bar 12 of the music switches to 2/4 time just for this single bar. That means you only play two 1/4 note beats before the next bar starts. This bar only plays two 1/4 note bass notes on each beat of the bar, and no melody notes. Because of this, if you forget about the 2/4 bar, and still play it in 4/4 time with four 1/4 notes, it won't sound too out of place.
 
This is about all I need to say about this piece. If you are comfortable playing fingerstyle bluesin the Key of E, then this shouldn't be too tricky. Just be mindful of the points mentioned above and you should be able to get it.
Thanks for Reading,
Neil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open D Tuning

You Gotta Move (Tutorial + Tab)

Hey Hey (Tutorial + Tab)